I really want to post something fun, or something about my day, but I can't really do that right now. Instead I'll tell you a story.
When I was in 8th grade, I thought it would be so cool to be in the army. Yeah, me of all people. This didn't last long, obviously. Anyway, there was a guy in one of my classes who also wanted to be in the army, and he was way into it. We talked a bit in high school as well, but weren't really close. The other day I was looking through facebook, finding people in my graduating class and saw him. For some reason, even though we hadn't talked for years, I added him. I looked at his page and didn't see anything military related, which I thought was a little weird, considering he'd always been so into it.
So today, about a week later, he added me back, so I figured I'd look at his page, see what he was up to. There were TONS of comments on his wall, people were saying they hoped he was doing ok and that he was in their prayers. It turns out that he is a Marine. He was in Afganistan, and just last week got hit by an IED. He lost one leg, and the other up to his knee.
This just breaks my heart. All this guy ever wanted was to serve his country. I remember him being big. Super tall, buff, confident. He played football, he always had something funny to say. I haven't talked to him about it, aside from a small comment on his facebook wall. But he was so thankful for all of the good thoughts from everyone.
It just made me think how much it would change everything if something like this happend to Steve. I really think it would break his spirit. It just hit me so hard to think of it like that.
I can honestly say I have no idea what a person is thinking when they join the military. I can't imagine doing it. I have nothing but respect for the people who volunteer to give up the lives they have to serve the country. My boyfriend did it, and I still don't understand it.
This guy is 19 years old. He spent his life waiting to serve is country, and he got to do it for such a short time. I can't imagine my dream being the thing that changed my life so much.
That is heartbreaking!
ReplyDeleteWow. Just, wow.
ReplyDeletePoor guy. =[ A lot of blogs I follow posted about a woman who's husband just died in Afghanistan and its just so sad. At least this friend (well, sorta) of yours got away with his life.
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean, I take for granted that Nick has such a safe job. I shouldn't take for granted what I have because I have it a lot better than a lot of other military spouses (gfs included!) out there.