So. I'm now employed. I think it is terrible that I already know I won't like it. I've worked 4 days. That's it. It's sort of nice having something to do. It's nice having somewhere to go. I don't mind how tired I am. I just hate retail. It rots my brain. I'm a hair stylist, not a retail slave. That sounds so arrogant. I'm lucky to have a job, but I guess in a way I feel like I deserve more.
I don't want to go into specifics on where I work, but I work in a store (duh) at a booth where we sell cell phones. Nothing too bad, I don't really mind it. The part that I don't like is that it isn't doing hair. I spent a year of my life going to school and working my ass off to be good at hair, so I could get licensed to do hair, so I could get a job doing hair. It got me nowhere.
The only salon jobs out here are booth rental which totally sucks. I can't afford to pay rent to work right now. On top of that I would have to pay for all of my product and equipment. I also have a teensy clientèle since I'm just out of school.
Part of me is scared that I'll forget. Practice makes perfect, and the more I was doing hair the better and faster I was. I don't want to have to start all over. Also, who wants to hire someone who doesn't have a job for 6 months after they graduate school, and then that job is selling phones? Really?
I feel like I've failed. Steve is the only person I can talk to about it, and he doesn't get it. I mean, he understands the concept of why I feel bad, but he thinks the fact that I have any job at all is great. Which it is, don't get me wrong. I'm really glad I was able to find a job when there are so few here. I enjoy money. Really.
How can I not feel bad though? All through cosmo school, and even after, people kept telling me how they just KNEW I would do good. They knew I would be successful. How can I do that when I can't even get a job? I honestly don't think I'll get a job as a stylist until I move out somewhere else.
I've been in retail the past four years and there are times that I love it and there are times that I absolutely despise it. Try to not look at your new job as something you'll have forever. Look at it like its a place that you currently work to get money while your looking for a stylists job. Continue to cut hair while at home or even go to peoples homes who don't have the time to go elsewhere. Offer haircuts to your friends and their friends as well. As time goes, this will help you build more of a clientèle.
ReplyDeleteTry not to get down on yourself. You can do this!
www.life-itssomethingbeautiful.blogspot.com
I've been in your shoes before. I graduated with two bachelor degrees in 2008. They were in Psychology and Communciation. I relocated to one of the largest cities in the state. I still couldn't find a job. I ended up working at a call center doing tech support for Apple (Nov 2008-Aug 2009). I worked at a warehouse for Amazon temporarily (Aug 2009-Oct 2009), and then another call center (Nov. 2009-Feb. 2010). I felt like a huge failure. I felt like I deserved more. I would get job interviews, but not the actual job. I started my master's in January 2010. I didn't work or look for a job, until the end of July. Less than a month later, I got a job in my field. Hang in there!
ReplyDelete