April 27, 2011

We loved with a love that was more than a love.

I was looking at some of the stuff I had saved on my computer, and found the poem Annabel Lee by Edgar Allen Poe.

....


And then I realized Steve's name fits nicely. I have too much time on my hands. And no, this is not meant to be serious at all.


It was many and many a year ago,
In a kingdom by the sea,
That a dude there lived whom you may know
By the name of STEVEN C;
And this dude he lived with no other thought
Than to love and be loved by me.

I was a child and he was a child,
In this kingdom by the sea;
But we loved with a love that was more than love-
I and my Steven C;
With a love that the winged seraphs of heaven
Coveted him and me.

And this was the reason that, long ago,
In this kingdom by the sea,
A wind blew out of a cloud, chilling
My beautiful Steven C;
So that his highborn kinsman came
And bore him away from me,
To shut him up in a sepulchre
In this kingdom by the sea.

The angels, not half so happy in heaven,
Went envying him and me-
Yes!- that was the reason (as all men know,
In this kingdom by the sea)
That the wind came out of the cloud by night,
Chilling and killing my Steven C.

But our love it was stronger by far than the love
Of those who were older than we-
Of many far wiser than we-
And neither the angels in heaven above,
Nor the demons down under the sea,
Can ever dissever my soul from the soul
Of the beautiful Steven C.

For the moon never beams without bringing me dreams
Of the beautiful Steven C;
And the stars never rise but I feel the bright eyes
Of the beautiful Steven C;
And so, all the night-tide, I lie down by the side
Of my darling- my darling- my life and I’m his bride,
In the sepulchre there by the sea,
In his tomb by the sounding sea.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet and sad...we've can't stop thinking about you and Steve. With no prompting from me at all, S starts off many a day praying "that Caitlin will feel good and happy today." You're on his radar for sure. We love you!

    ReplyDelete