January 7, 2010

A little bit more of the other side.

So, I feel like every once in awhile I should blog about a topic. Not just my day to day life, but an actual topic. Today, since I don’t seem to focus on it, is beauty school. I’m surprised that I don’t talk about it more, since it is what I do all day long.



I’m going to school for cosmetology. That includes hair, skin, and nails. That means I have been learning: haircutting, styling, coloring, highlighting, manicures, pedicures, acrylics, facials, waxing, and all that. Basically everything beauty related.



I LOVE cosmetology. This business is so perfect for me. I’m a super hero. Ok, maybe that is a bit extreme, but I’m good.



So here is how my school works. New classes start every six weeks. The new starts are added to the old class though, since they are always on a cycle. So let’s say it goes haircutting, nails, skincare, color. One group might start on haircutting, then go to nails. The next group would start on nails then go to skincare. So the people you start with are the only people who really are at the same level as you. There are three start groups in a class at a time, because the basics class is 18 weeks long. So as a new group comes in, the most senior group in the class moves on to 360.



360 is a sort of in between from working on the floor and being in the classroom. You have three weeks to do five cuts, five colors, and five perms. You get these clients yourself, so it’s likely to be people you know.



After 360, you are on the floor until you graduate. This happens when you get to 1600 hours and finish all required work. So from there, we work on the salon floor, taking clients, while still being supervised by teachers, getting graded, and all that. I also have class once a week, which sucks, but oh well.





So that’s what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment