June 7, 2011

Wedding Recap #1- Dress Shopping

So I think I'm going to finally get around to posting about our wedding! I loved our wedding. It was perfect. It fit us so well, and it was the happiest time of my life. 

Steve and I had been talking about getting married since he went into the Air Force. We were young, and knew it would be best to wait. Sometimes it would cause fights, with one of us (usually me) wanting it and the other (usually him) wanting to wait. So for a long time, we stopped talking about it. I think it was in July, and I asked him if he'd "thought about the m word". I can remember it clearly. I was sitting on the back of the couch  and straightening my mom's hair, while texting Steve. I was REALLY surprised when he sent me a text saying, "I think we should do it when I get home from Korea." I was floored. I actually said I had to think about it! I only had to think about it for a day or two, but I had ignored it for so long!

I guess that might not make sense to everyone. The thing is, we always knew we were going to get married. We just didn't know when. So, there wasn't any proposal or engagement ring, we just decided together over the phone, from opposite sides of the world. Very us, I guess.

The next step was telling our families. It was stressful, and I think all four parents suggested waiting. They didn't understand why we would get married right before he went to Korea. Then, it was that it would be easier for my family from Montana to come if we waiting until January. Eventually, I think they understood that we do things our way. I am SO glad that we were sure about what we wanted. I don't know what I would do if we hadn't been able to get married before Steve died. Being able to call myself his wife gives me something to hold onto.

I planned the whole thing, Steve told me to do whatever I wanted. Honestly though, there wasn't much to plan. I think we had the whole thing figure out in about a month. We had a courthouse wedding, but still wanted to get dressed up, have family, and a bunch of the little wedding touches.

First thing, getting a dress. The dress I ended up with was nothing like I thought I would have gotten, but I love it so much. I tried on a bunch of styles, but I'm really glad I found the one I wore. It also fit the style Steve said he liked. Bonus!


 Went shopping with my sister and my mom. Bri brought her camera to document.


 This was my go to pose for some reason... even though it gave me man shoulders.

I tried on a few veils, just to see how it looked.


My sister got distracted by the ugly ass something dresses. Prom? Quinceanera?

I made boutonnieres for all of the guys (this one wasn't finished yet).


Almost went with this one, but wasn't a huge fan of the train or how sparkly it was. 

Here it is! Pre-hemming, of course, since I'm mini.

I also made bouquets, one for me and one for Bri. 


 AND HERE ARE MY EFFING AWESOME SHOES

Balloon bouquet and veil!

Here's my bouquet, better pictures in the wedding shots. 


And the ring. Steve picked out both of them (the one's on my middle finger, the green one was a Christmas present from Steve a few years ago) while he was in Guam. I actually didn't see mine until two days before the wedding.

6 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful dress and awesome shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those bouquets are so creative! you need an etsy shop!

    I totally have the same shoes! I wore them for my trash the dress pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I was the only one who didnt have a proposal or engagement ring! I didnt want the ring but we did the same thing over the phone while he was deployed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing! Wonderful memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank God you got to marry him! I didn't have a normal proposal or an engagement ring either, must be common for mil relationships lol. Your style is so cute and unique, I just love the buttons and balloons! We got married at the courthouse too, but I wore a wedding dress too, great choice :) I know this post is bittersweet, thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete