May 26, 2011

Sharing

A few months ago (ok, I'll admit it, it was at least 3 or 4 months ago), Kammi at Misadventures of an Alternative Navy Spouse started doing guests posts on her her blog about different life experiences of mil-spouses. I emailed her saying that I was interested in writing a guest post, because I don't think many people hear much about the experience of being a widow. About once or twice a week since then, I have tried to sit down and write something, but I couldn't form the words to explain my feelings. Each time I tried to write it I focused on something different. Finally, last night, I realized that I don't have to explain what happens. I don't have to give a play by play of what you go through (even just on the military side of it). I just wanted to show a piece of myself.

I think the problem I had every time i tried to write it, was that I felt like I needed to give the back story every time. I needed to talk about how Steve and I started dating, and our experience with the military. I needed to talk about his death, and the things that happened after. Honestly though, sometimes those things don't matter to the story. Obviously they are a huge part of my life and who I am, but it doesn't matter how long we were together, or when he was stationed where, or how he died. The story I was trying to tell was about the pain I feel.

This was as close as I could get to showing how I feel the large majority of the time. When I'm sad, those are the things I think about. When I'm having a decent day, those are the things I think about. When I'm angry, those are the things I think about.

You can see my post here, and check out the rest of Kammi's blog. I've been reading her blog since before she was pregnant with her adorable daughter, and I think she is an amazing woman, mil-spouse, and mom.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing that. I know I don't comment often on here, but I have been reading your story for a while now. Your post brought me to tears. I was heartbroken when I read of your husband's death, last December.

    I remember being terrified that the same thing would happen to me when I finally married my husband. He was 19 and I 20 when we got married in April, and he is in the Navy.

    I wish with all my heart that I could ease your pain. No one should go through what you did, especially this early in life. You are such a strong woman, but I can't even imagine what you have been through and how you have done it. You are in my thoughts and prayers, and I truly hope that as time goes on you can heal, even just a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your guest post is very well-written. it almost made me cry and i don't even know you! thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete